The Zika virus transmission zone in Miami Beach has been expanded to an area including the famed Fontainebleau Hotel, Florida governor Rick Scott announced Friday night.
The zone in the city was expanded to a new area stretching from 8th Street to 63rd Street -- for a total area of around 4.5 miles where officials believe Zika transmission is occurring.
The Florida Department of Health says five people -- two males and three females -- in the expanded area have experienced symptoms within a month of each other.
"One of these cases has already been announced by DOH earlier this week and was under a normal investigation process," the announcement said. "The investigations of the other four were completed today."
"Aggressive mosquito control efforts" were taking place in the expanded area, which has experienced 35 non-travel related Zika cases. There have been 93 non-travel cases in Florida.
"While we’ve learned that we’re expanding the impacted area in Miami Beach, the good news is that we expect to lift the zone in Wynwood on Monday because of our aggressive mosquito control measures, outreach to the community, education efforts and the vigilant actions of the residents and businesses in Wynwood," Scott said in a statement.
Scott blasted Congress for inaction on funding and said he authorized $10 million in additional funds to fight Zika.
He also renewed calls for the federal government to give more lab staff, 10,000 Zika prevention kits and a plan on how Florida can work with FEMA to fight the mosquito-borne disease.